Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Queens Kickshaw


 (Wearing lots of flower print today...Oh the irony...)
Global warming…Global cooling…Who knows what the hell is going on? Perhaps we’re all so shocked by this level of FREEZING because the past few winters were abnormally warm. This is the end of January…11 degrees is totally normal, right? Never the less, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! 

My (temporary) unemployment has for the most part been a sort of blessing in disguise. Of course it absolutely blows not having money at times, especially living in the city, but I’m pretty grateful to have so much time to myself to do all the things I told myself I’d do when I was too busy working at the farm stand.  I’ve been spending more time in the kitchen than anywhere else, which is AWESOME. I literally can’t fall asleep at night because my mind is racing, plotting my meals for the following day.  I wake up and basically spring out of bed after stretching so hard that all the blood rushes to my head  just so I can get started on all my projects. 

Anyway, today I really needed to get out of the house. Since it’s way too cold to head all the way into the city or go for any kind of  leisurely walk, I bundled up and speed-walked to The Queens Kickshaw just a few blocks away from my place for their ultra-superior cappuccinos and some writing. I didn't even bring my headphones, because I'm so appreciative of their taste in music and interesting eaves-dropping opportunities. :-X.

I love this place. The first time I came, I was sent on a mission by a cider-distributor named Anthony, showcasing hard ciders at Murray’s in the West Village. He told me The Kickshaw had THE BIGGEST hard cider list IN NYC! Peace out, Anthony! I headed back to Queens, chatted with the bartenders and eventually with the owner Ben and his wife Jennifer, who just happened to be pretty obsessed with cider varietals. Ben was excited to have me try the “Oliver’s Gold Rush”, explaining to me how it was “like sticking your nose up a horses butt. It’s awesome!” Mm...They even knew about our cider Annadale Atomic Hard Cider and turns out they've made several unsuccessful attempts to carry it here. We were all ecstatic in making this connection and planning for the future. We browsed the list together, mused over our favorite cider apple varieties and fermentation processes, and tasted a good amount of cider. I left with a warm and excited buzz, anxious to return again.
II really, really suggest taking a break from ultra-hip Brooklyn and ultra-suave Manhattan and making the trip to Astoria, Queens to check this place out.  There’s a healthy blend of locals enjoying their lattes, using the free wi-fi and of the out-of-towners, anxious to try their extensive cider list, beer list, and delicious food. Their brunch includes comfort foods such as scotch eggs, french toast, shepherd’s pie, mac n’ cheese, baskets of knishes, tomato soup, and grilled cheeses, as well as $4 snacks like miso-mustard pickles, curried pumpkin seeds, and lemon coriander olives. 
 My favorite hole in the wall. (In Queens)

No comments:

Post a Comment