Monday, January 14, 2013

Smoothie Sunday

SMOOTHIE SUNDAY
(Listening to Billie Holiday: early hits)

I've always thought of smoothies as a summer-time thing, due to the never-ending supply of fresh fruits (and veggies) and cool cravings in the hot heat. Since I've started going to the gym however, I find myself craving a frosty fruity treat when I get back.
Lucky for me, I planned ahead (which rarely happens) in June and froze some strawberries to enjoy when the ground would inevitably be covered in snow and I begin dreaming of these sweet jewels and the warm sunshine. Ok...I also bought some from the  grocery store down 30th ave. and froze those. I also feel spoiled in having honey from my farm on hand- made from the sweet nectar collected from our orchard blossoms and wildflowers. MMMMMM. 
 
 
 So here's what I threw in the blender for some protein and sweet (approx 1 serving):

  • 1 cup frozen fruit (I prefer frozen over fresh to avoid using ice)
  • 1 1/2 cup coconut milk (Coconut milk is actually a super high-calorie choice. On the plus side, it's packed with a surplus of vitamins and micronutrients. I think it tastes the best in smoothies and makes it delightfully creamy. You might prefer using almond or hemp milk)
  • 1 T almond butter
  • 1 t  maca powder
  • 1 t  bee pollen
  • A pinch of chia seeds
  • A pinch of ground flax seeds
  • A generous honey drizzle
Puree until desired smoothness and voila!  This is a satisfying enough breakfast and holds me over until lunch-time or later. Seriously though...If you don't mind the calories of coconut milk, go for it! It's my favorite. (Goya $2)



No comments:

Post a Comment