Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Buckwheat Ricotta Pancakes

 Listening to: Cat Power, Sun album
Usually I would use Bob's Red Mill buckwheat pancake/waffle mix or make a mix from scratch. This particular time, I used Hodgson Mill mix which can be found at most health food stores in a gluten free version as well. 
While many people think buckwheat is a cereal grain, it's actually a fruit seed related to rhubarb! This makes it a suitable substitute for for people who are sensitive to wheat or other grains that contain protein glutens. Be careful though! Some mixes (like the one I used) DO have whole wheat flower in them. Buckwheat is also super nutritious, because of its rich supply of flavonoids, particularly rutin. Flavonoids are phytonutrients that protect against disease by extending the action of vitamin C and acting as antioxidants. There's about 86 grams of magnesium in 1 cup of buckwheat (which relaxes blood vessels, improving blood flow and nutrient delivery while lowering blood pressure) as well as  acting as a co-factor for more than 300 enzymes, including enzymes involved in the body's use of glucose and insulin secretion. Fiber is also plentiful in this seed, aiding in digestion.

Mix:
3/4 cup pancake mix
1/2 cup milk (I used hemp milk)
1 egg
1 T oil
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese

Cook on one side until bubbles form on the edges, then flip and cook on other side until golden brown. Serve HOT!

I spread almond butter on my pancakes and topped them with fresh-cut strawberries, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and maple syrup. Couldn't help smiling the whole time I ate these...they were just so good! The ricotta cheese makes them extra fluffy and light and the sweetness of the strawberries and syrup just felt so decadent and special. I felt like I was staying at a B&B. It's not very often I make a breakfast like this for myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment