Friday, February 8, 2013

Stuffed Baked Peppers


Back home for the weekend! Mostly because I have a dinner party to serve tomorrow night, but who knows if that will happen with the winter wonderland outside. Isn’t it beautiful?! I love being snowed in; A completely guiltless excuse to curl up in an over-sized sweater, leave stacks of tea cups beside the couch, get rosy cheeks from the fire, and flip through pages and pages that momentarily kidnap you from present reality.

My one regret? Not going food shopping first thing this morning. Sure, there’s food here. But I wish so much to be whipping up something spectacular. 

Never the less, I made the family pesto and veggie omelets this morning, because I need take advantage of the fresh eggs from our chickens. Oh, how I miss those orangey yolks! Mm
Tonight my mom made roast pork with red wine (homemade from my ex's dad), our own garlic and rosemary, and butter…WOW. 

I  made everyone some cocktails to get revved up before we play apples to apples, searched the fridge for dinner possibilities, and came up with something pretttttty delicious: 

INGREDIENTS:
2 large bell peppers
1 cup brown rice
1 medium sized yellow onion, diced
½ cup golden raisins
½ cup cheese (I used feta)
2 T olive oil
¼ tsp allspice
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp dill
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup slice almonds

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Bring 1 cup rice and 2 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed. About 20-25 minutes
MEANWHILE, sautee diced onion in 1 T olive oil until soft and sweet. Add spices and mix.
Add onion and spices to the cooked rice. Stir in raisins, almonds, and cheese
 Halve the peppers, removing the seeds and membranes
Lower the peppers into boiling water for about 6 minutes
Remove the peppers with a slotted spoon, and transfer them cut-side up to an aluminum-oil lined baking sheet.
Stuff the peppers with the rice mixture. Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
(chicken or sausage would be great in these)

1 comment:

  1. You've been creative since birth. I remember you making dolls out of flowers. Love that you're using your creativity daily and sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete