Sunday, February 24, 2013

Huevos Rancheros

Sunday Morning


When scouting out a place for brunch, my eyes are very selective when scanning the menu. Mimosas and bloody marys? Ok. Eggs benedict and French toast brioche? I like it. Huevos rancheros? Sold! (luna 61 does it best)

I love love love this dish and find any excuse I can to make it. I haven’t actually met anybody who was displeased with this breakfast come to think of it. My friend Jess and I made it while I was in Tennessee and it felt so good to thank her boss/friend for having me by feeding her delicious food first thing in the morning. It’s quick and simple enough to make when you have a several mouths to feed as long as you set up all your toppings so they’re ready to go, just like you would on taco night.

I waited until I got home (Upstate) to make this meal again because I wanted My Brother Bobby's salsa so bad; It’s my favorite. Adam and I used to trade our jam for containers of this stuff as well as front-row spots to the sample table at the Rhinebeck farmer’s market. 


What you’ll need:

Black beans (Goya is my go-to. I’m not ashamed.)
6 inch soft corn tortilla shells
Sour cream
Cheese (cheddar or feta are best, if you ask me)
Salsa
Eggs
Avocado

Additional suggestions: (fresh cilantro, sriracha sauce, tobasco, lime) You could turn it into a dinner by adding more veggies, chicken, or beef?


Directions:

Heat a tortilla shell in an oiled skillet on medium heat

When one side has browned, flip it over and sprinkle a little cheese on top.
 
    Once cheese has slightly melted, crack an egg on top. (Don’t worry if the whole thing isn’t on the tortilla).


     

    When the edges of the egg white have set, flip the whole thing over. Cook it for a little while longer. (I like when my yolk is still a little runny so 1 minute tops is all it really takes).

    Flip it back over on to a plate.
     
     

    Top with all your toppings and serve! 



    (If you’re feeding a lot of mouths, you can always put your oven on low and keep the egg+tortilla foundations warm so you can top them and serve them at the same time!)

    1 comment: