Friday, March 15, 2013

SUNFLOWER SALAD WITH GRAPE SEED DRESSING


 SUNFLOWER SALAD AND GRAPE SEED DRESSING

There’s one place at the market that has bins upon bins of sprouts; radish, broccoli, pea shoots, alfalfa sprouts, bean sprouts, and SUNFLOWER SPROUTS, which were the inspiration behind this.

Sunflower sprouts boast 25% protein! Additionally they contain b vitamins (stress-busters), zinc (hormone-balancing), vitamin E, and numerous minerals. The younger (smaller) the sprouts, the more concentrated all the good stuff is.
I had such a good time making (and eating) this salad on Wednesday, with all the windows to the apartment wide open and Trevor Hall blasting. Spring is coming people! I can taste it.


SALAD INGREDIENTS:

Mixed greens
Handful of sunflower sprouts
Pickled onions
1 T sunflower butter
Sprinkle of sunflower seeds
Dash of flax
Drizzle of honey
Dried goji berries (cranberries or dried currants would work too)
Bee pollen (optional)

DRESSING:

Whisk together:
3 T grape seed oil
1  T balsamic OR red wine vinegar
1 t Dijon mustard
Salt to taste


Wednesday mornings are my favorite. Since I only have a night class, I get to wander around Union Square Market and take my sweet time, always returning home with a bouquet of flowers and some miscellaneous meat/fish/cheese/jam/honey/wine/chocolate/fruit/vegetable…(you get the idea) that called out to me. This Wednesday was BEAUTIFUL out too. I wore flower tights, flower earrings, and carried around 2 bunches of tulips; one for me and one for my friend, sippin' on some iced chai. How could I not be happy?



No comments:

Post a Comment