Tuesday, February 18, 2014

QUINOA CASHEW BURGERS on a Bed of Greens (gf)




I wanted to use up the leftover brown rice and quinoa in my fridge before making anything else. Since I wasn't feeling soup today, I decided I'd cook up some sort of quinoa burger. Not only do I tend to get lost in cyber-world for way too long when I start exploring online recipes, but I start feeling like I "need" to go out and buy more ingredients; ignoring the ones I already have. I really felt like marching to my own drum today, so I just threw together a slapdash of ingredients and thought the outcome was absolutely delicious. I think that tamari and lemon juice do wonders for flavor, raw cashews contribute such a great creamy texture to an otherwise grainy patty, and the raw ginger, garlic, and dried red pepper flakes give it a kick. I didn’t have any fresh herbs, but I would say cilantro or parsley would complete this recipe. 

(Side-notes: Next time I may mix roasted beets and/or goat cheese in with the other ingredients.

Lemon zest would be great too…?)


INGREDIENTS:

(Makes 4 burgers)

1 ½ cup brown rice/ quinoa
½ yellow onion, minced
1” knob fresh ginger, minced
1 lg garlic clove, minced
1 egg
2 t tamari
1 t red pepper flakes
4 T garbanzo flour
1/3 cup raw cashews, finely chopped
1 lemon (1/2 juice for burgers, ½ to squeeze on after)

1 T coconut oil (for frying)



INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Mix all ingredients (besides ½ lemon juice and coconut oil) in a large bowl until well incorporated.

2. Melt about a 1 T knob of coconut oil over medium heat in a skillet. Using a ½ cup measuring cup, scoop 2 mounds into pan. Use spatula to shape and flatten the patties to about 1” thick.  Cook both sides for about 5 minutes each or until browned. Keep warm in oven set on low while you cook the other two.

3.  Serve on a bed of greens with your choice of toppings: (Avocado, roasted beets or sweet potato, goat cheese, kimchi, sauerkraut…etc.) 

You’re on your own for a dressing! I just mixed some Dijon mustard with lemon juice. Between that and the juice from the kimchi I scooped on top, there was a great balance of flavor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment