Monday, February 3, 2014

GOAT MILK RICOTTA





I’ve really been slacking on blog posts this winter and apologize! I’m still a little taken aback when people praise past posts and urge me to keep going. I sort took a step back when I realized how many food blogs  were out there. My complete lack of competitive drive fused with the winter blues made me doubt a whole slew of things. I mean, who am I to tell you how to make a pie crust or turn a buttery, cheesy, savory dish into a vegan one? I have no training. I’ve never worked in a restaurant kitchen. I am learning so many new things as I’m sharing them with you. That’s the truth. I'm just a farmer with unbounded enthusiasm inherited from my father that’s just too much to keep to myself.  I can’t put a cork on the thrill and I don’t see why I should. I absolutely WORSHIP fruits and vegetables and creating meals from “the fruits of my labor”. I can’t think of anything that gives me more joy.

When voicing this in not so many words to friends, customers from the farm market, family, etc. I received so many loving words of encouragement and support. This blog doesn’t have to be famous or on Vogue’s “best instagram healthies” list. I just love cooking and writing and if people find that inspiring, I’ll keep it up. Because  you know what?  It inspires me too. That’s the most satisfying and complete feeling of all; inspiring yourself.  Who knows if anything will come from this speck of sand on the beach of cyber blogs. Maybe it won’t have anything to do with food! I’m just sure there’s a bigger reason I enjoy it so much and if you’re reading this, that you do too. Winter is hard around here. Make sure to take walks in the woods, no matter how cold you are. It's always beautiful.


OK! Now for my first attempt at ricotta cheese: 


(I used goat milk because cow milk tends to give me a stomach ache. MyNewRoots is so knowledgeable on this topic if you want to read up on it more. Long story short: goat milk is more easily digestible than cow’s. The size of fat molecules in goat are smaller than cow’s milk which means they’re broken down easier. Goat milk also has less lactose, more protein and calcium, and higher amounts of medium chain triglycerides which speed up metabolism.   This isn’t to say I never ever have cow’s milk or its derivatives. It’s more like a preference when available. )

Ricotta is great for savory or sweet treats. I topped a piece of toasted multigrain with a smear, avocado, chickpea miso, cracked black pepper, and a little sriracha sauce for lunch. Fresh or roasted fruit with a drizzle of honey would be delicious too. 

Recipe from Honest Cooking

INGREDIENTS:

Makes about 1 cup 
4 cups / 1 liter goat’s milk
1 t sea salt
3 T freshly squeezed lemon juice

EQUIPMENT:

 1 stainless steel or ceramic pot
 1 large piece cheesecloth or nut milk bag
 1 bowl
 String




INSTRUCTIONS:
  1.  Pour the goat milk into saucepan and add the salt. Heat the milk gently over low to medium heat stirring occasionally.
  2. When the milk is on the verge of boiling, remove it from heat and add the lemon juice. Stir the mixture once gently to encourage the curds to form before letting the pot sit undisturbed for 5 minutes.
  3. While you’re waiting for the milk to become cheese, line a strainer or colander with a double layer of muslin, cheesecloth, or nut milk bag and place it over a large bowl.
  4. Pour the milk mixture gently into the colander and let the curds strain. The ricotta will be ready to eat after an hour of straining, but the longer you leave it the more dense and creamy it will be. Taste a little to see what you prefer. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Caroline! We have two pregnant goats out here in Fort Collins, and can't wait to have fresh milk (and cheese)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky! Milk, cheese, yogurt, soap...You're going to be busy lady

    ReplyDelete