Saturday, September 21, 2013

Darlin' Doe Goat Meatballs with Real Live Amazing Food Co. Cheese



I’m no travel extraordinaire, but I’ve been around. There are little food utopias scattered across the world including all these “up and coming cities and neighborhoods” that are finally realizing how not just beneficial but BEAUTIFUL farming is and in a broader sense how satisfying and inspirational a grow/nurture/consume relationship is. To know exactly where your food is coming from and maybe even brush the hand of the farmer who put that seed in the ground is comforting and humbling. To garden or farm yourself turns you into this proud super human. You learn not just the gifts but the difficulties that nature hands you and the balance of each which creates this mass of gratitude and appreciation. You get to nurture your body with the fruit of your wisdom and hard work.
 Being born and raised on MPO, I’ve always known this feeling and have never for one second taken that for granted (in all seriousness). I feel like the luckiest girl when I think of the journey the apple has made. I put the tree in the ground as a 10 year old when I had my first sip (thermos) of coffee and ran around the orchard fifty times screaming like a monster child. Now I sit down, a woman, with a glass of wine, the most perfect apple I could find, some camembert, and a knife; with Billy Holiday on the record player and think how close I feel to the whole practice and idea. My mom tells embarrassing stories about my diapers as a baby because of my fruit and vegetable consumption. In every photo of me as a baby you can spot berry stains on my chin and cheeks and dirt on my knees and hands. I broke up with a boy once because he didn’t like fruit. It is my life; I’m not ashamed to admit it.

So this grow/nurture/consumer relationship with produce has always been in me. Something new I’ve come to really really appreciate is that same relationship with meat. I feel so incredibly lucky that local, grass-fed, free-range, organic meat is so readily available around here not only from markets or grocers, but at most restaurants. I can confidently and comfortably go into my favorite restaurants and know that the pork, chicken, lamb, beef, duck, whatever came from somebody I most likely know, close by. It’s incredible! (If you haven't eaten at Elephant, you're missing out).

I realize this is a touchy subject with people and I really hope to not to offend anybody.
I’d say the majority of my friends are vegetarian or extremely selective with meat consumption. My brother had been a vegetarian since he was pretty little up until recently. He decided he would only eat what he has killed himself. He started with squirrels, chickens, turkeys, deer, and even a snapping turtle. We’re now raising two pigs named Tony and Carmella who will eventually be turned into meat. I see these pigs on a daily basis and I’ll tell you, they are living the life. The TV show Portlandia cleverly makes fun of this whole idea, but it’s 100% valid and important.

Dana Gentile of Darlin’ Doe Farm in Germantown has been a friend of ours for a while now. She raises goats for meat and sells locally (at our farm market on Saturdays). I had never bought meat from her until this year, don’t ask me why. Inspired by a friend, I decided I wanted to make meat balls with the ground goat. I am not lying when I say this was one of the top ten foods I’ve had in my life. I wasn’t alone on this. I HAD to share and encourage you to buy some goat. I did a little Q&A with her to inform you a bit in case it’s new for you too. 


Leisl inhaling the goat stew- Photo by Dana

The setup a the market- Photo by Dana


When was the first time you ate goat? How was it prepared ?

The first time I ate goat was at Applewood, a restaurant in Park Slope, Brooklyn. It was goat stew and I knew from the first bite I was hooked on this lean, delicious red meat.  I also new I wanted to raise my own meat.

What made you decide to raise goats for meat?

I was a vegetarian for eight years and was unable to get enough protein that my body wanted/needed.  When I started to eat meat again I made sure it was the best quality and humanly raised. That was very important to me and still is.  I always wanted to farm as a kid and never thought is could be a reality because I did not grow up on a farm and the only farmers in my background are in Italy.  Since I could not uproot myself across the ocean and learn from my relatives, I decided to come up to the Hudson Valley to learn and deepen my roots here in New York State. 

What nutritional benefits does goat meat have compared to other meats?
Goat meat is higher in protein and iron than beef, pork, lamb and chicken and lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than chicken or turkey.   </p><p>What foods/spices go best with goat? What’s your favorite way to prepare it?
Goat meat is versatile and is eaten by 80% of the world. Every culture has different ways of cooking and spices used.  My favorite is a simple roast with garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and rosemary. Another favorite cooking a leg,  Schwarma,  with garlic, salt, cardamon, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper.

What is their diet like?

Darlin' Doe Farm goats browse pastures and forage in the woodlands of Germantown, NY.  Their favorite plants are poison ivy, sumac, pear tree leaves, and mugwort.  They get fruit and vegetable treats that we grow on the farm such as kale, collards, pears, and asparagus, and of course they get some montgomery place apples.  The goats get a cup of local whole grain feed in the morning to start the day and unlimited hay.  We believe in a natural and holistic approach to raising healthy livestock and have an herbal worming program to balance parasites.

What does  a day in their lives look like on Darlin Doe Farm?

We rise at 6am and I give a cup of local whole grain feed to each goat.  I open the barn to a fenced in pasture that moves around the farm every 3-4 days.  The goats get a lot of attention and love. They like to do tricks and jump on things.  I do as much as I can to make these goats as happy as possible.  We go on hikes through the woods whenever possible.

This recipe was adapted from The Meatball Shop Cookbook using Real Live Amazing Food Co. Farmer’s cheese.

Makes about 1 dozen, 2-inch meatballs

4 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 t salt
1 T fresh thyme leaves
1 t sweet paprika
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup REAL LIVE AMAZING FOOD CO. BASIL & HERB FARMER’S CHEESE (or goat cheese)
2 pounds ground goat meat
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 large eggs

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, 1 teaspoon salt and the thyme. Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and nicely browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool completely.

Combine cooled onion mixture with remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.

Roll the mixture into round, golf ball-sized meatballs (2 2-1/2” thick) making sure to pack the meat firmly. Place the balls in the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.
Roast for 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. A meat thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball should read 165 degrees.

Allow meatballs to cool for 5 minutes in the baking dish before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment