Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Blueberries + Beer




I can hardly believe it’s the middle of July already. Strawberries, raspberries, cherries, and peas have already come and gone and the days are so hot, we’re left in a blurry delirium by the end of the day. It seems we’re all learning more and more how fleeting moments are and how completely necessary it is to be fully present in each of them, even if that means eating so many berries you get a stomach ache. It’s (usually) worth it.
While all these good things wither away after just a few weeks (black raspberries giving their all for just ten days before completely calling it quits) until next year, new delicious things begin to glow and ripen on the branches and we’re so overwhelmed with excitement and anticipation, we forget how depressing life looked without another night of strawberry shortcake. 

We’ve been selling blueberries from Greig Farm for a long time now and the screams never quiet from year to year when we get our first phone call from Norm that they’re ready for us. While I absolutely love a good peach and a ripe fig will actually bring me to my knees, blueberries are something I just love so much, I don’t really know how to express it appropriately. In the same way you might have a favorite full bodied beer you like to sit, sip, and really enjoy (like a peach or fig), blueberries are like the go-to beer that’s just always good and has a drinkability that doesn’t really see an end. Every trip I take into the walk-in cooler at work involves me scooping handfuls of cold blueberries into my mouth.  Noelle and I like to stand over a flat and pick out the fattest berries one by one to eat when they come in (they’re the sweetest). I think I’m disclosing too much information, so I’ll end it there. 



Anyway, I asked Marissa what she thought would be the first best thing to do with blueberries. Like most questions I go to her for when stumped, she gave an i-don’t-mess-around answer, “float them in a good wheat beer”.  Duh.

 Since it’s too hot to be in the kitchen this week and since I know you’re all hanging out by your pool or your friend’s drinking  beer and eating salted cucumbers after work, I’m just going to keep it simple and tell you to get a good cold wheat beer and let some blueberries float around in it. 





4 comments:

  1. that is genius. im going to get some blueberries as soon as i arrive.
    much love

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha love it! I'm actually sitting around eating blueberries (that I just got from your stand) with a beer right not as I'm reading this. freaky deaky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the top photo....The 3 Sirens, luring men and women alike with their blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! Austin's there!

    ReplyDelete