Friday, May 31, 2013

STRAWBERRIES STRAWBERRIES STRAWBERRIES!!!!

 “I may never be happy, but tonight I am content. Nothing more than an empty house, the warm hazy weariness from a day spent setting strawberry runners in the sun, a glass of cool sweet milk, and a shallow dish of blueberries bathed in cream. When one is so tired at the end of a day one must sleep, and at the next dawn there are more strawberry runners to set, and so one goes on living, near the earth. At times like this I'd call myself a fool to ask for more...”

-Sylvia Plath

Strawberry season is here. Being surrounded by seasonal gifts of sweetness and beauty from May-November holds many pleasant surprises and “favorite parts”, but I can remember most vividly my first strawberry of the season each year. Once the blossoms are open, I’m down in the patch almost every day checking on their progress, waiting for the perfect one to turn ruby red and call out to me. It’s always the most sensationally delicious moment I can remember (Winter is rough.) The first fruit of the summer! They’re so beautiful, fragrant, and sweet, I don’t know many who don’t love a good strawberry.


 While devouring them on the back of the planter with my mom, I told her I had to think of the best recipe for by blog to start off the season. She laughed at me like I was crazy and said, “slice them up! That’s it.” Then we decided, don’t even slice them. Strawberries and cream. Nothing else like it. So here’s my first recipe for strawberries:



INGREDIENTS:
  • Quart size mason jar with lid (spoon-optional)
  • ½ pint of Ronnybrook heavy cream
  • Quart of strawberries
DIRECTIONS:

  • Pour cream into jar, screw on lid and SHAKE IT as hard as you can for about 3 minutes. (Yes. You could just use a hand mixer, but this is more fun).
  • Fold back strawberry leaves
  • Dunk into whipped cream
  • Dunk into mouth.

IM ALSO very into pre-making dressings and syrups this year so they’re in the fridge ready to go on a salad or in a drink when I’m too tired after work to get creative. 

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB SYRUP (Add to prosecco, lemonade, or fold into ice cream)

·         1 cup water
·         1 cup sugar
·         1 ¼ cup finely chopped rhubarb
·         1 cup sliced strawberries

Combine all ingredients in medium pot and bring to a boil then let simmer for about 4 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a jar. Let cool and use immediately or store in fridge

HONEY LAVENDER SYRUP (Add to iced tea, lemonade, yogurt, or strawberry shortcake)

·         1/2 cup local honey
·         ¼ cup dried lavender
·         ¼ cup granulated sugar
·         ½ cup water

Combine all ingredients in a medium pot and bring to a boil then let simmer for about 4-5 minutes. Strain into a small jar and let cool before using or storing in fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment